Nothing is known of Edward D Ryan other than he ran a Catholic school in Berrima between 1840 and sometime in 1842, when he was succeeded by Edward Browne.
The Returns of the Colony show a steady rise in the number of pupils in the school during his tenure:
- 1840 27 pupils, 17 boys and 10 girls.
- 1841 28 pupils, 16 boys and 12 girls
- 1842 35 pupils, 19 boys and 16 girls
The school had been founded in 1840 using two huts from the convict stockade, purchased and donated by Charles Throsby, a Protestant landowner who had played a leading role in the district for many years. How suitable they were for a school can only be guessed at but the Returns show that in 1841 £41/16/- was expended by the government on improvements, compared with £15/4/- in 1840 and £12/7/- in 1842. The Catholic school was still operating in 1844 but has not been researched further.
The only other mention of Edward is that he was present at a meeting in October of that year to establish an Auxiliary Catholic Institute and Auxiliary Society for The Propagation of the Faith. Where Berrima’s Edward Ryan came from and went to, remains unknown.
 Australasian Chronicle, 8 October 1840
- Back to Residents Full List
- Read more about Berrima in Mitchell’s County Town: Berrima 1831-1841